East Maui Loop
The East Maui loop ride is one of the most ultimate of road cycling experiences on Maui. The loop itself is a 115 mile diverse terrain loop that can take anywhere from 5.5 to 7.5 hours of saddle time. This ride will take you through lush rain forests of East Maui, dry ranch lands of Haleakala, and the small towns of Paia, Makawao, Haiku, Hana, Kipahulu, Ulupalakua, Kula and Pukalani.
You’ve heard of the famous Hana and cycling Hana Highway will be an epic experience. Hana Highway has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 2001. It has 620 curves and has 46 one lane bridges, some dating back to 1910. Plan for the elements of unpredictable weather which can include daily wind, rain, hot sun and cool breezes all as you challenge yourself up winding roads, steep climbs and killer descents throughout this adventure of a lifetime.
This loop is for fit cyclists only! We do recommend starting at sunrise.
DIRECTIONS AND TERRAIN:
The general route is to start in Paia, climb to Kula, head around Kaupo and then continue on the Hana Highway by the backside of Paia.
CRATER CYCLES TIPS:
- Parking: Free parking in the parking lot as you enter Paia on the right.
- Recommendations: We recommend bringing spare air, tubes, extra hydration and a lot of snacks. A support vehicle with bike racks is always as great idea just in case you need to call it a day.
- Restroom: The small towns will have restrooms until you reach Kipahulu after this there is nothing until Ulupalakula.
- Rain Gear: It is a good idea to bring a rain jacket in case of very often unexpected ocean weather
- Phones: Do not plan on much reception out on the east side of Maui.
DOWNLOAD THE EVERYTRAIL APP FOR IPHONE OR ANDROID HERE
* For further information about mountain biking trails and mtb activities on Maui please visit the Maui Mountain Bike Coalition. Makawao Forest Reserve is managed by the Department Of Land and Natural Resources, State of Hawaii.