Haleakala summit ride is one of the longest paved climbs in the world! Increasing its grade from sea level to 10,023 ft in just under 36 miles. This same route has been taken by racers who participate in Maui’s own Cycle to the Sun Race that is held every year in the summer. This beautiful climb to breathtaking views is a slow grind in the saddle but makes sense if you’ve never done it before it’s a must do! This route can take from 3- 7 to hours depending on weather conditions and skill level. If you see clouds top of Haleakala it’s a trade wind day. We recommend riding early as possible in the least amount of trade winds for much better weather conditions. Keep in mind when the weather is 80 degrees at the beach the summit top will be on average a cool 40 degrees. Be kind to yourself, stay hydrated, eat food and enjoy the impressive views of the island.
DIRECTIONS AND TERRAIN:
Start in Paia, head up Baldwin Ave. to Makawao, then straight up Olinda Road, cut over to Kula Highway, and finally turn left on Crater Road to finish at the summit.
CRATER CYCLES TIPS:
- Parking: Free parking in the parking lot on the right as you enter Paia.
- Recommendations: We recommend bringing spare air and tubes.
- Restroom: The best place to stop for restroom is before your ride in Paia. Next stop is Sunrise Market on Crater Road then not till park entrance.
- Nutrition: Extra fluid, lots of snacks and nutrition highly recommended.
- Rain Gear: It is a good idea to bring a rain jacket, arm and leg warmers, and full finger gloves remove bike fender
- Phones: Waterproof case highly recommended for everyday rains.
DOWNLOAD THE EVERYTRAIL APP FOR IPHONE OR ANDROID HERE
* For further information about mountain biking trails and mtb activities on Maui please visit the Maui Mountain Bike Coalition. Makawao Forest Reserve is managed by the Department Of Land and Natural Resources, State of Hawaii.